EU energy minister asked the European Commission to make plans for ban of high-energy-consuming household lighting fixtures with incandescent bulbs included by 2010. Commissioners on EU energy affairs promised to submit their plans by December, 2008.
It is reported by Xinhua News Agency on October 11 that EU energy minister asked the European Commission to make plans for ban of high-energy-consuming household lighting fixtures with incandescent bulbs included by 2010.
EU energy minister stated after a meeting on October 10th that the new plan will start “a phased program for ban of incandescent light and other high energy-consuming lighting fixtures”. EU countries agree to the ban because there are already suitable alternative products. However, problems such as the shortage and unsatisfactory performance of substitute products have to be effectively prevented in the process of the ban program. The plan will also involve the energy efficiency of more than 20 kinds of products such as water heaters, heating equipments and refrigerators.
Piebalgs, energy commissioner of European Commission, said at a news conference after the meeting that EU would submit the relevant plans in December 2008.
EU lamp manufacturers decided in June 2007 to completely stop selling incandescent bulbs within eight years in EU market (by 2015).
Tests have proved that only 5% energy of the incandescent bulbs is used for lighting and the remaining 95% is consumed as heat energy. Besides, the lifespan of incandescent bulbs are shorter than some energy-saving lamps. The researchers believe that the ban of incandescent bulbs will help reduce carbon dioxide emissions. At present, some countries and regions are implementing the incandescent lamp phasing out program.